voila 75 total rebuild

General hydrofoil related questions, comments, tips, etc
Post Reply
Dougieloo@aol.com
Posts: 32
Joined: Sat Apr 04, 2015 12:54 pm

voila 75 total rebuild

Post by Dougieloo@aol.com » Fri Sep 04, 2020 7:06 pm

so the project is now under way and coming along nicely
heres a quick run down some of which cam be found under different articles i have written over the years here with in this web site you can search under my login name
bought one of the boats that was in the Vancouver BC worlds fair i believe 1986 it came with a 6cyl Volvo diesel engine and volvo 270 out drive water wearing out the diesel [which in my option power short for the boat and also made it but heavy] i repowered it with a mazda rotary marine this made a good combination as the motor put out about 150 hp and weight as about 300lbs if i remember right taking the boat up to 70 mph one of the problems was that it was hard to steer to port against the prop torque a bit unsettle at 70mph also the boat was a bit torqued over as the boat having so little surface contact was trying to twist in the water it was around the time dual props were coming out and volvo had one that would bolt onto the 270 and would correct both the problems associated with prop torque only problem was as they took my hard earned money was they forgot to tell me the 270 out drive was not strong enough to with stand the additional torque and weight and it broke of at i don't know what speed but over 70 in about 300+ ft of water
now i put a Mercury bravo one on refiguring the engine compartment lowering the new mercury gimbal lower coming through the hull this worked but because of the much heaver outdrive and gimbal it slowed the boat to 50 mph ran the boat for may years in that floor mat and then reposer it with a 350 hp 350 mercury new interior top ect well at 2.1 hours at 106 mph it became airborne throwing me and my fellow passenger out of the boat luckily no life threatening injuries but it did take a bout 3/4 of a year to heal up
Attachments
NZxDIecRTUmQSOlPlCKPIg.jpg
the font foil had quite a bit of corrosion at the point were they had welded the uprights to the wings some of this was before i got it and some after i chose to grind out the rot and reeled it was a huge amount of work i think i spent 4 weeks 6 hrs a day working hard to get my end results interestingly i had fixes some bad spots before many like 20 yrs before with marine tex and it was still holding up fairly well i don't think any of my bad spots were structural but i did what i did i used big with 347 stainless
QIorKIAhRVOni76UBaF3Sw.jpg
lots of nuts bolts and washers to clean up
96zwvh7eTLiwudEtwEET1w.jpg
cleaning to bright alum. opened up holes so heavy bed liner could line the holes to prevent ss to alum. contact should say help prevent
Iyo1vlcBS6iQBmcM1YJejA.jpg
spaying gives you the smoothest finish with less paint
lLXNJuVmTx6wIVjVWOpeeA.jpg
after the etching primer came the Rapor bedlinner 5 coats below water line 3 above all heavy not when staying one needs to watch out for the shadow effect around raised arias sprayer must be held straight on i used a mini roller 2'paint brush and a mirror on a stick under the step lips also after my 2 coat the arias around some a lot of the flush rivets the liner was not laying in so i spent 4 hrs rubbing it into the arias with my gloved finger
59OC8RtwQVa3RivV2B%Egg.jpg
limited sand blasting with high pressure water min size water would be 3gpm at 300psi
fullsizeoutput_365e.jpeg
little off topic but just how many 100lbs bags concert can you fit in your 1/4 ton Toyota
IMG_0114.JPG
lifting with crane truck to move the boat home and set on trailer upside down
IMG_2399.JPG
sitting on the hard stand
IMG_2399.JPG (76.16 KiB) Viewed 3922 times
fullsizeoutput_2c01.jpeg
getting 35 years of holes welded up

Post Reply